Are you one of the people who have encountered an unrecognized USB device issue in Windows 7, 8, and 10? This is a common problem, so no need to concern about it. In this guide, we have 8 different methods to overcome your problem. You should check one by one and try this method one by one. These all methods are suitable for you and I assure you, any single method will help you to solve the USB devices not recognized issue.
Troubleshoot and locate the issue
It is required to find the problem before you look for a solution. There is no simple solution without knowing the issue. Therefore, we need to take some steps to diagnose the problem of USB devices not recognized in the Windows operating system.
Whilst connecting a USB device to a Windows operating system computer, a “USB
device not recognized” simple trouble message sometimes appears on the display of computer system. Also, you will find that the external drive doesn’t appear in File Explorer. Therefore, if the external device is a mass storage device, you can’t access the data from the
device. Furthermore, This issue is not specific to the version of Windows OS but generally, occurs in all versions of Windows OS such that Windows 7, 8, and 10. These are the common USB device errors that often annoying windows users.
So, remove the error message while connecting the USB device and access the files from it, you must have to figure out the problem using the below method. Go via each step and check where is the problem. Rather it is in a device driver, USB cable, or external device.
Well, you should check whether the external USB device is rightly connected to the computer.
- Open Windows Explorer and check whether there is an external disk here. Once you find it, there is no requirement to follow this section and you should continue toward the read this article.
- What should I do if I can’t locate the external USB device? Open the search bar. Try searching for “Disk Management” System on system screen.
- Depending on the size of your USB memory stick, check here if the USB memory stick is removable or sometimes marked as external or removable.
- However, if you cannot find the USB hard drive here, you must insert it correctly As you have not connected it in the right manner to a computer or laptop device.
Next, check again and if you locate an external USB storage device connected to your Windows device, please continue with the following steps.
- These days, many external devices come with their power cord or switch. If you are using such a big device, try to find the power switch if the device has and reset the device using the power switch or by unplugging it from the power socket for 60 to 80 seconds.
- To check the problem with the USB port, disconnect the external device and connect it with a computer using another USB port. The specific USB port on a Windows device may not work in the right manner.
- Take another computer device or any device on which you can connect the external devices using the USB cable. Now, connect it with another device and check that it’s working or not. If it’s working then there is a problem with the USB drivers of your computer. So, choose the right method from below to solve the issue with the USB driver.
Solutions to solve the problem of “USB device not recognized”
Update your Windows OS
This is the fastest and simplest way to solve this problem. When you update the entire Windows OS to the latest version, the USB driver will also be updated to the latest version.
- Click the “Start” button, type “Windows Update” in the Find box, and then choose “Windows Update” from all results.
- Select Check for updates. Once, the scan will be completed, select the Show other updates option.
- Now, you have to choose the square box next to the update, and then select to install the update. When prompted, read the full license agreement if you want otherwise directly click on the “I agree.”
- Now, you have to download the on-screen instruction to move ahead and download and install the update.
- Don’t forget to restart the computer after the process is completed otherwise your computer still shows an error.
If the problem cannot be solved, continue with the second method.
Reinstall USB controllers
In this section, You will learn to reinstall or update the USB driver or USB controller. There may be any malfunction or error in your USB controller. To fix these failures and errors, you only need to reinstall the USB driver.
- Open the search menu in Windows operating system. First, you have to open the device manager, by typing “Device Manager” in the windows search prompted box.
- Expand the universal serial bus controller. Press and hold (or right-click) the device and select uninstall option from the menu. Repeat this operation for each device.
- When finished, restart Windows.
- The good news is that you don’t need to reinstall it. The USB driver is installed automatically to help you solve technical problems.
In this method, we have updated the USB driver. If you still facing the problem that means your USB driver is working fine and you have to try another method to solve the problem in other parts of the device.
Uninstall USB driver and reconnect it again
This method fixes some errors in the USB controller or device driver.
- Open the Windows search menu and enter Device Manager in the search field. Press Enter button or click to open it.
- At this point, select a hard disk or external device from the hardware list.
- Expand the hardware list of the drive. Press and hold (or right-click) the USB hard drive in the menu and choose the erase option.
- After removing the hard disk, detach the USB cable from the windows system. Simply, hold on and you need connect again the USB cable to Windows device.
- The USB driver will load automatically once you close the control panel. Finally, look for the external device on your Windows Explorer menu.
When you finally find the USB memory stick in the Windows Explorer menu, this is good news for you. Maybe this does not solve the problem, that’s fine. You can try another one from the below 5 methods.
Disconnect External devices and Unplug the computer
This is an easy solution! You will save lots of time if you will get success using this method. Power cycle reset the computer means more than power off the computer using the power button. This problem occurs because most people are not shutdown their computer completely and the power remains on the motherboard. Therefore, a power cycle reset will help you to get out of the issue. Sometimes it happens that you connect the device to the system but cannot connect to the USB storage device.
- First power off your computer or laptop, and disconnect any external devices that you are also connected to other USB ports.
- If you are using a laptop, please disconnect the charging cable. Desktop users should unplug the power cord from the backside of the CPU.
- Now, wait 70 to 90 seconds. 4.Plugin battery to laptop or power cord to CPU and restart the computer.
- This method will erase all volatile memory and removes all glitches from that.
- When finished, try to reattach the USB storage device. You may be able to solve the problem successfully.
Fix the USB root hub in the device manager
Sometimes the problem of not being able to recognize the USB device is caused by a malfunction of the power management system. We will fix this issue and make important changes to the power management configuration.
- To continue this process, open the Windows OS search menu and enter “Device Manager”. Click it to open it.
- Now look for the hardware block “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and expand it.
- Here, “USB Root Hub” option appear on the screen. Right-click and select “Properties” to open it.
- Now select the “Power Management” tab in the properties section and deactivate by unchecking the check box. Now, permits power off such type of device to save the battery.
- Finally, tap Enter or OK to exit this menu. For multiple USB root hubs, you have to repeat this method’s instructions again and again.
Try Disabling USB selective suspend setting
This feature is really helpful while your laptop device or tablet device is only running on battery power. If you’re using a desktop system, you don’t need this feature, which can sometimes raise issues with unrecognized USB devices. Here are the instructions to disable this and overcome the problem.
- Open the Windows search menu, enter the power plan, and then choose to change the power plan.
- You must now choose to change plan settings in the currently chosen plan.
- Select Change advanced power settings.
- Check the box here to expand “USB Settings”> “USB Selective Suspend Settings”.
- Select Connected, then select the drop-down menu and select Disconnected. This only applies to desktop users.
- If you are using a laptop device, choose the battery, select the drop-down menu and choose Disable.
- Now tap Enter or click OK to move out. Hey, please check whether you have fixed the “USB device not recognized” problem. Well, we have other ways to solve this glitch.
Uninstall the useless driver and device
- Windows file Manager will not display all the drivers downloaded and installed on your computer device. Only the devices you are using are displayed. Sometimes, some unseen devices may conflict with attached devices and raise problems. Then we should locate all unseen devices and delete unnecessary devices drivers to avoid common issues.
- To remove hidden devices, you must first run the command prompt with the permission of an administrator. Open the search bar, type “cmd” and right-click the “Command Prompt”. Choose to run as an administrator. It will now open.
- Type these commands in the command line from here. “set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS = 1 set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1 start devmgmt.msc “.
- You will now see the device manager on the display of the computer. Tap on the “View” menu option.
- Simply, select the “Show Hidden Devices” option in this view menu.
- All equipment needs to be checked here. If you locate an unknown device, right-click and delete it. You will need to repeat this step until all conflicting devices are removed.
Finally, you have performed this method and it’s better if you get the right method to remove the glitches. Otherwise, you should update the hardware drivers, and to do that follow the instructions of the next method.
Troubleshoot and fix the issue in the motherboard’s drivers
In some situations, there is a problem with the motherboard chipset driver. Sometimes you may not have updated this driver yet. If none of the above methods solve your problem, this is the last option for you.
- For the name of the motherboard manufacturer, please refer to your computer’s user guide.
- Visit your device manufacturer’s support website.
- Search their website to find the correct driver for your motherboard. If you need help, please contact your computer manufacturer.
- Another option is to update the motherboard driver at the closest computer repair shop.
At last, we have written 8 proven methods to sort out the problem of the “USB device not recognized” in the windows operating system. Each method is useful to solve the issue in a particular device. So, try one by one and check which device you are facing the real issue with.
After trying all these methods, you still have not overcome the problem, try to connect by changing the USB cable or USB device. Maybe it is faulty. As a final option, you can contact Windows customer support or your computer brand care support. They will suggest to you very well about what you should do.